loving life with the little man and an elephant

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Oh, What a Year!- Journal Calendar

So I saw this idea from Design Sponge before the beginning of the year. I kept telling myself I wanted to make it and of course I never got to it. I then used the excuse that it was no longer the beginning of the year so I cannot start it now. No more excuses I have FINALLY made my journal calendar. The best part about it is that it only cost about $3.00.
I purchased the index cards (200 count) from the Dollar Tree. I purchased the mini tongue depressors from the Dollar Tree. I had the tape, tupperware container, and cardstock at home.

All I did was create the cover for the journal calendar on my computer. Click here to get a copy. I print it off and cut to the size I wanted.

Then I counted out how many index cards I would need for each month. Here is a list of how many days are in each month.

January- 31 days
February- 28 days (29 days on leap year)
March- 31 days
April- 30 days
May- 31 days
June- 30 days
July- 31 days
August- 31 days
September- 30 days
October- 31 days
November- 30 days
December- 31 days
I then wrote the name of each month on a separate tongue depressor. 




  Then I taped the tongue depressor to the top of each of the first cards in each stack so that the tongue depressor would be on the first day of each month. 

I taped the cover card to the front of the container. I then put all the cards in order in the container. 
I then started with today's card and wrote the day and the month at the top. On the first line I wrote the year (2012) and I wrote an important event for today. I will write the day and the month at the top of each card throughout this year. I then will write the year and my memory on the first line of each card. I will continue to do this for years to come. 
I put my container next to my coffee pot because I fill the coffee pot every night before I go to bed. 
I am excited to begin this journey for years to come. A great way to reflect on memories I might otherwise forget.

6 comments:

  1. Great idea! I can't wait to make mine. I have two little ones and I need to start one marking their accomplishments and cute things they say.

    -Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. I think it is easier than running to the baby book. This way when I get around to filling out the baby book I can look back.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fun! I made one two and had so much fun decorating it! I still need to stop by the dollar store for 3x5 cards--great tip! I have 3 little boys and hope this will help me remember to write down some of the cute things they do! http://beauty4ashes-ellie.blogspot.com/2012/01/365-calendar-journal.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so smart. I think i would actually do this. it would be so fun to share some of the fun things little man does during the day. Cute idea!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete