loving life with the little man and an elephant

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Valentine's Day Book Advent Plan


It is hard to believe we are almost at the end of January and with February brings Valentine's Day. For some reason I enjoy Valentine's Day especially decorating for the special day. This year I added some new decorations for the kids. 

I went to Hobby Lobby hoping to find some metal mailboxes and did not have much luck. But I did find some paper mache mailboxes. I then found some unfinished candle sticks at Micheal's. I brought them all home and painted them and this is what I came up with. 

My thought is to put something new in the mailboxes each day for the kids to find in the morning. I was looking around on my favorite website: Pinterest and found this great idea from Not Consumed.

What better way for the kids to learn about love than to learn about God's love for them.

I also reached out to some family members and asked if they would write a quick note to the kids that I could put in their mailboxes to find. I think they will really enjoy that.

Then I got to thinking, I have always wanted to do a Christmas book advent but let's be honest December is crazy. Next year right?!? So I thought I could test it out with a Valentine's Day book advent. The plan was to read a book and do a related activity for each day. So I wanted to share the plan here with you. My hope is to take pictures and share how it is going along the way. So here is the plan:

Day 1
Book: The Giant Hug by Sandra Horning
Activity: Send a hug in the mail
Our  family lives far away from us so we might have to make more than one of these to send all our hugs.

Day 2
Book: Plant a Kiss
Activity: Hand Print Heart Tree Craft

Day 3
Book: There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Rose
Activity: There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Rose sequencing activity 
Day 4
Book: Snowy Valentine
Activity: Heart Snowflakes

Day 5
Book: Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse
 Activity: Sticky Heart Suncather

Day 6
Book: One Heart: A Valentine Counting Book
Activity: Valentine Number Matchup

Day 7
Book: The Day It Rained Hearts
Activity: Cloud Kid Craft

Day 8
Book: My Heart Is Like a Zoo
Activity: Heart Animals and Poem

Day 9
Book: Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day is Cool
Activity: Make valentine's for kids Sunday school teachers

Day 10
Book: The Kissing Hand
Activity: Kissing Hand Print and Poem

Day 11
Book: Roses are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink
Activity: Make kids' valentines for friends

Day 12
Book: The Shape of My Heart

Activity: Chocolate Play Dough in Chocolate Heart Box

Day 13
Book: Secret Sparkling Valentine

Activity: Love For the Birds: Cheerio Bird Feeder

Day 14
Book: The Berenstain Bears' Valentine Party
Activity: Valentine's Day Party!!

No comments:

Post a Comment