loving life with the little man and an elephant

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Mother Goose Time Ocean Commotion Week 1 and Workboxes

I have to be honest we have been struggling to do preschool on a regular basis. Part of it is that it is starting to get nicer outside. I also feel like we needed to be better organized. It seemed if the kids saw an activity they could do they wanted to do it. But many times the activities would sit in our school bus box from Mother Goose Time and they would never see it. I started looking into workboxes and came up with a new system for our preschool. 
I started by buying this tower. The top five drawers are for Mason and the bottom five are for Hailey. I choose the activities they can do and put one in each drawer with the supplies they will need to complete them. 
I then put these tags on each of the drawers with two velcro dots on the drawer. When they have finished a drawer they move it from the left to the right. This helps me to know which drawers I need to refill with an activity. At the top I put a bucket of things they can come back to if they want to do the activity again. 
I also redid our circle time area. I had everything up on our wall but it was hard for the kids to reach and it was ruining our walls. So I moved everything to a tri fold board and we can move it anywhere we want to do circle time. 
So this week the kids started with their first drawer from the Experience God curriculum. While they colored their coloring sheet I read the beginning of the story of Jonah and the Whale to them. We then reviewed our memory verse for the month. I like this one! : )





Their next box was from day one- Ocean Water. I wrote the kids' names on their nametags and laminated them. I included an Expo marker in their drawer. Now they can practice write their name over and over again. We talked about how we swim in water. After the kids traced their name we acted like we were diving for our nametag.


While they were writing their names we listened to our very own Ocean Commotion CD.
The final box they chose for today was from day 2: Ocean Floor. We started by talking about shells we have seen. We then talked about how the paper plate from the activity looks like the letter O. The kids then decorated their oyster shell and folded it in half. They then threaded the beads on their pipe cleaners and hid it in the oyster. 


While they did not finished all their boxes I am okay with that. I will refill the ones they have completed and we will get to the others another day. I am hoping this help them to choose what they like to do most and they will see more activities throughout the month. 

"I received curriculum from Mother Goose Time for honest and authentic stories resulting from my daily experiences in using the curriculum. I applied to be an official Mother Goose Time blogger and will continue to share my experiences throughout the 2014/15 school year."

No comments:

Post a Comment